Monday, May 30, 2016

The Great Bathroom Debate




Okay, so someone somewhere passed a law that tells us where we can legally use the bathroom.

Wow, can you say “micromanage?” I mean, really? Can you tell me which brand of toilet paper to use? Oh, and I would love to know which hand I am supposed to be wiping with. Should I use soap afterward? Or hand sanitizer? I’m not really sure.

Why on earth are we giving someone else this kind of control to micromanage our lives?

I know some will say, “But I don’t want those perverts in there with my daughter,” and I could agree, but I won’t. Hear me out…

Men that identify as women will be dressed as a woman (maybe to the point where you wouldn’t even know the difference, barring a physical check of parts…which is just “eww” to even think about). Most of them have been using the women’s restroom for years. If they were in a woman’s dress and walked into the men’s room, wouldn’t that seem just as strange?

These people may have a perverted sense of self, but probably are not “perverts” in the way that we use that word. It’s not the man in the dress that is taking pictures of our daughters in the public bathrooms. It is some other deviant who has snuck into the bathroom for purposes other than relieving their bladder.

I completely agree with wanting to keep our children (boys and girls both) safe while using public restrooms. Here are a few ways we can keep them safer:

-Check the bathroom before they enter. (It’s ok to open the door and ask “Is anyone in here?” before physically walking in (if you are not the gender of the child using the restroom.)

-Teach your child to physically check each stall and look under the doors of stalls that appear to be locked and empty.

-Teach your child to be aware of their surroundings—not playing on their phones or listening to music (headphones) while in public bathrooms.

-Have your child use the family restroom.

-Go into the restroom with your child (if you are the same gender or your child is very young).

There is so much hate being spewed about this bathroom “issue” that really was not an issue for transgender people (as they were already using the bathroom they self-identified with). Honestly, non-transgenders did not have issues with the previous arrangement. In fact, maybe we were blissfully unaware that the high heels and pantyhose in the next stall belonged to a man.

We are called to love as Jesus loves.

Jesus came to save sinners, not the righteous. And guess what! “There is none righteous, not even one.” Romans 3:10.

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23

That means that last week, when you looked down your secretary’s shirt, or wished your husband looked like Brad Pitt instead of Danny DeVito, you sinned too. There is no “big sin” or “small sin,” there is just sin.

That means that Caitlyn Jenner’s sin and my sin are EQUAL in the eyes of God. Not only that, but as I am judging Caitlyn on ‘her’ sin, God is judging me on mine.

It is not my business how Caitlyn chooses to live her life unless God calls me to speak to her as a friend to lead her towards Him.

If we are busy judging and spewing hate, we are missing opportunities and closing doors. The Bible tells us in 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from ALL unrighteousness.” (Please note: this does not say “all unrighteousness except being a transgender person.” ALL means ALL. Everyone has the opportunity for God to cleanse them of their sins, including Caitlyn Jenner.)

So, unless you are without sin (in which case, I am very pleased that Jesus/God saw fit to read my blog post), I would propose that we learn to love people where they are and pray for God to move in their lives so that they become who He wants them to be.

Here is another post I wrote on gender identity and guiding your children to biblical truths.

I welcome respectfully worded comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment