Sunday, May 15, 2016

Encouragement is SO Important

 

I recently attended the Mid-South Christian Writer’s Conference. I learned many things I didn't know, and was reminded of things I did know. One such reminder was from keynote speaker, Edie Melson. She said “You are blessed if you have a spouse who supports your writing.”

Yep. I agree with Edie, wholeheartedly. 100%  I know this perhaps better than others because my husband does not support my writing, and refuses to read any of my stories or blog posts. I have to work harder to follow my dream knowing that he doesn’t want me to. (I am blessed to have my mom for support, but I can use all the encouragement I can get.)

My husband knows that my ultimate goal is to quit my job and support myself (and my family) through writing, and frankly, I think this scares him to death.

You see, I am the primary breadwinner right now. My husband does work, and his job pays decent for our area, but I do make more. My nursing position has allowed our family to enjoy some comforts that we might not have otherwise. So, I can understand not wanting to give that up.

Additionally, I have embarked on several money making opportunities in the past, that did not pan out; jewelry parties, in-home daycare, and telemarketing from home have made my husband leery of any unconventional ideas. (Probably for good reason.)

I understand that my track-record is not the best, but this is not a get rich quick scheme. I don’t plan to get rich with my writing, and getting rich is not my goal. It could be a wonderful by-product, but I am not trying to be the next J.K. Rowling here.

I don't think he really understands where I am coming from with this writing stuff. First, I have stories in me that are begging to be written. Second, I love writing and I love being home with the kids. And third, I am not going to quit my job on a whim. I actually have a plan.

I plan to begin replacing my income by self-publishing books on the side. Until I am generating sufficient income from those books, I plan to continue working.

While I am waiting for my book income to be sufficient, I plan to work on reducing our overall debt. With fewer bills, less income is required to get through the month. For example, if I can reduce our bill payments by $1,000 per month, then we should be able to live on $1,000 less income per month as well.

Perhaps my husband would be more understanding if I could find a way to explain all of this to him. I certainly feel that my writing, and my self-confidence, would improve with his support.

Does your spouse or significant other support your writing? If not, do you have another person in your life who shows their support? If you don't have someone who fills this void in your writer's life, find someone! Trust me, it's important.

1 comment:

  1. Ten cards of this kind are popular in the play as the rest of the game.

    บาคาร่า It is a site where you can participate in ten card games. And other card games are congested through the online system with the criteria to open the service. The side of the game of online gambling. With over 12 years of experience in the service, it is widely recognized among Internet gamblers across South East Asia.
    About playing cards Ten is a matching card game that must be tied together to the same ten. Strategies such as guessing players. probability Mathematicians often take advantage of this kind of play. To play the game of ten will require a player of 2-6 not more than this, because otherwise it will result in the game is difficult. With this type of card games are popular to play around. So we have to make a game of gambling in another regime to provide services to all.
    And unless there are ten cards, then we also have more than 500 computer games to play. The style of appreciation of each. Do not wait, we will be happy to deliver you all 24 hours at the site. Gclub มือถือ

    ReplyDelete