Saturday, March 22, 2014

Haiku




I promised to try to post something I have written at least weekly. I was pretty busy last week and wasn't able to post like I would have liked. This week is shaping up to be busy as well, so I thought I would get a head start. I wrote this poem (a haiku) yesterday on my way to work. Now, if u are picturing me scribbling furiously as I drive down the road, that is not quite what I meant. I suppose I should say "I thought of this poem while driving to work." I did wait until I parked before attempting to put it on paper. Before I share the poem, here is a bit of backstory for those of you who don't know. Just over five years ago now, I lost my sister and best friend to a form of cancer called Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Rebekah and I were like most sisters growing up; we fought a lot and were not very tolerant of each other's personality quirks for a long time. Things got a little better in high school, and after reaching adulthood, we became friends. When she died, I felt as though I had lost a part of myself. I know she wouldn't want me down here grieving for her every day, so I wrote this poem to help me with closure while we are apart.

Goodbye my sister,
Life-long friend; Rest in heaven
'Til we meet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment