Monday, February 9, 2015

National Read in a Bathtub Day


Today is National Read in the Bathtub Day. I'll bet you didn't even know there was such a thing!
 (Me neither).
 
In the spirit of fun, I have taken a few pictures of myself and my children reading in the bathtub.

We read If You Give a Pig a Pancake and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do You Hear?
Baby Boy looks a little sleepy here, but he perked up when we started to read.

Sister read.

Then baby brother tried it too!

They both enjoyed the break from our normal routine!

I am proud to be able to offer my children these (sometimes silly) enrichening experiences.

After all, how many public-schooled kids got to read in a bathtub today?
 
 
Looking at the above pictures, you might get the idea that I am making light of the importance of reading to your children. Believe me, that isn't the case! I am showing how important it is to me to read aloud to my children as they grow...even if it takes reading in some unconventional places.
 
The next time your kids are squirming during reading time, try one of these ideas:
  • Take a blanket outside and have a reading picnic
  • Go to the park or playground and read sitting on the swings or hiding in the tunnels
  • Go to your local library and find a quiet corner to read
  • Try out a story hour at your local library
  • Go out for ice-cream and take a book to read
Does your family have a special way to break up the read-aloud monotony? What is it? Share in the comments!
 
Want more info about why reading to your kids is so important? Check out this study by Scholastic published in the NY Times: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/us/study-finds-reading-to-children-of-all-ages-grooms-them-to-read-more-on-their-own.html?_r=5&referrer
 
(Look for another post about reading to your kids and encouraging them to read for themselves--in the next week or two).
 
Here is a little info about Read in the Bathtub Day: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/602236-196/daily-twip---read-in-the-bathtub.html 
 

2 comments: