Sunday, October 27, 2013

"Ye Who Are Weary, Come Home"




How many times have we heard those words? "Ye who are weary, come home..." Personally, I'm certain I have heard them hundreds of times, but never before have they affected me as they did tonight. I was on my way to church listening to my Alan Jackson CD Precious Memories, when the song Softly and Tenderly starts playing.

I was singing along as always, minding my own business when suddenly those words connected in my mind to Rebekah (my sister passed away almost 5 years ago.) It just hit me that she was "weary." I know she must have been; so tired of battling her cancer, weary of the hospitals and chemo and radiation, tired of the pain she was in and of not being able to communicate with her family. I had never before put this song into this context, so many times I felt instead that we were robbed; that she was stolen from us before her time.

I know she would not have wanted to leave her family behind either, but when God called her to "come home," I believe she answered that call as one of the "weary." And when she got there, I know her burdens were lifted and she was able to look down on her family with a smile, knowing that we all are in His hands! She no longer knows sorrow or sadness, she is with her Maker, she is with family members who have gone before, and she eagerly awaits the day when we are called home to join her. And there will be great rejoicing.

The sudden understanding that she was one of the weary really impacted me. She did not leave her home, she went to her Home! Here are two of my favorite pictures of her--total opposites in terms of her appearance, but both beautiful in their own way.


Beautiful picture of my sister when she was healthy.



Another beautiful picture of my sister after cancer and it's treatments changed her outward appearance. Inside, though, she was still the same beautiful Rebekah that we will always love and never forget.

Thank you for reading along and letting me share. If you knew her, you will never forget her, and if you didn't, I just hope this post touches you in regards to someone you do know.

Check out my Link Parties page for a list of all the parties I link to each week.

3 comments:

  1. Well written. Great choice of pictures. The second pictures shows her good attitude even in the condition she was at the time. I remember her pastor talking about how, when she was still able to talk, he visited her with the intention of cheering her up, and she cheered him up instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully transparent writing, Charity. I am glad that I have been able to get to see your sister through your mom's stories and through your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to think of your sister...not leaving home but going home! My sister has been "home" for ten years. I miss her every day. May God continue to comfort you as you remember her.

    ReplyDelete